Thursday, September 29, 2011

Aunt Barbara's Famous Chicken Enchiladas

I have had writer's block for the past week or so... I never thought it would be so hard to write a blog about my life. When I was in Copenhagen I think it was easier...I'm not sure why. Maybe because I was also traveling and taking classes? Either way, I have been racking my brain trying to decide what to blog about! (And in my spare time watching copious amounts of Mad Men! A seriously amazing show...) I finally have a few blog posts in mind, so hopefully I will be writing more frequently.


I made my Aunt Barbara's Famous Chicken Enchiladas. I added the famous to the name. I've made them for a couple of different groups of people and everyone seems to love them! I know I certainty love to make them! I will include the recipe down below for anyone who wants to try them out!! I made them because we had a special dinner last tonight. One of my housemates is leaving us! :( Stephanie was here last year living in Chicago, and she was able to stay in the house until her new job started. Well, her new job starts in a few weeks and so she is going to go home for a little while before heading off to William & Mary (I believe) where she is going to be in charge of something...organizing college volunteers, I believe. Anyways, last night was her last night here. It was definitely a bittersweet moment saying goodbye to her! I am sad that she is not going to be a part of our community here in Chicago but I am also excited for her to start her new journey. 


After dinner we watched Saved. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I copied and pasted a summary from imdb.com for you to read over. If you just click here, it will take you to the imdb (Internet Movie Database) site.


Mary is a good Christian girl who goes to a good Christian high school where she has good Christian friends, mainly Hilary Faye, and a perfect Christian boyfriend, Dean. Her life seems perfect, until the day that she finds out that Dean may be gay. After "seeing" a vision of Jesus in a pool, she does everything in her power to help him turn straight, including offering up her virginity. But none of it helps because Dean's caught and sent to a "degayification" center and Mary ends up pregnant. It's during her time of need that she becomes real friends with the school's set of "misfits," including Cassandra, the school's only Jewish girl; Roland, Hilary Faye's wheelchair-bound brother, and Patrick, the skateboarder son of the school's principal, Pastor Skip; whilst Hilary Faye turns her into a social outcast.


Anyways, the movie was a lot of fun and it was great to have one last community gathering before Stephanie left! I highly recommend renting and watching the film. Today was my first day at the 26th Street Location for PAWS. I will be splitting my time between the 2 different PAWS locations on Thursday and Friday. I had a really good day there and will try to blog about it tomorrow. I hope you all had a wonderful day!



Aunt Barbara's (Famous) Chicken Enchiladas
2 lbs. chicken
4 T. butter
1 large onion
1 lb. chopped spinach
3 c. sour cream
(2) 4 oz. cans chopped green chilies
1 t. ground cumin
¼ c. milk
salt to taste
10-12 flour tortillas
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
Poach chicken, cool, then shred into small pieces
Melt butter and sauté onion for 5 minutes
Pre-heat oven to 350, butter large baking dish (13x9)
Steam spinach (I just microwave it), reserve ½ c. of liquid
Combine onion, spinach/liquid, sour cream, chiles, cumin and milk.
Add ½ of the spinach mixture to the chicken, mix well
Fill tortillas with spinach/chicken, place seam side down in baking dish
Cover tortillas with ½ of the grated cheese, then remaining spinach mixture, then top with remaining cheese
Bake until heated throughout and lightly brown (approx. 30 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!! :)