Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Devotion

Passage for Reflection: Psalm 26

  • 26 Establish justice for me, LORD ,
  • because I have walked with integrity.
  • I’ve trusted the LORD without wavering.
  • 2 Examine me, LORD ; put me to the test!
  • Purifyu my mindv and my heart.
  • 3 Because your faithful love
  • is right in front of me—
  • I walk in your truth!
  • 4 I don’t spend time with people
  • up to no good;
  • I don’t keep company with liars.
  • 5 I detest the company of evildoers,
  • and I don’t sit with wicked people.
  • 6 I wash my hands—they are innocent!
  • I walk all around your altar, LORD ,
  • 7 proclaiming out loud my thanks,
  • declaring all your wonderful deeds!
  • 8 I love the beautyw of your house, LORD ;
  • I love the place where your glory resides.
  • 9 Don’t gather mex up with the sinners,
  • taking my life along with violent people
  • 10 in whose hands are evil schemes,
  • whose strong hands are full of bribes.
  • 11 But me? I walk with integrity.
  • Save me! Have mercy on me!
  • 12 My feet now stand on level ground.
  • I will bless the LORD
  • in the great congregation.




Reflection
A few weeks ago one of my friends posted on Facebook a clip from a Primetime ABC segment of “What Would You Do?” The show is about testing people’s reactions to everyday situations. The different scenarios usually revolve around some sort of injustice but always involve props and actors and never actually put anyone in serious danger. In order to get an accurate and honest response, the people observing the scenario do not know it is staged. The clip that my friend posted dealt with racism directed towards interracial couples. I think the true glory of “What Would You Do?” comes from the show’s ability to make us reassess our own priorities and values.

Psalm 26 can be used in a similar way. David makes a bold statement about his unwavering trust and how strongly he holds to his moral beliefs. Can we say the same? Oftentimes I worry we as a society are too complacent with the things happening around us. Psalm 26 is a great passage to use as a mirror. How do your past actions align with your own morals and values?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, grant me the strength to honestly evaluate my actions. Often it is easier to look the other way or walk on by while injustice happens around us. Give me the courage to stand up for what I believe in and to do your will. Help me stay strong and walk with integrity. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!! :)